Most of us might assume that toothbrushing is the sole oral-care key to pearly whites. After all, adopting a simple brushing routine is attractive for those of us on a hectic schedule; a quick 2-minute brush and you’re ‘set’. However, when it comes to perfecting your oral hygiene, one has to go beyond brushing.
Here are some essentials for you to make your oral-care regime smarter.
Dental Floss - 1 in 3 people do not floss, are you one of them?
Are you flossing or just lying about flossing? Up to 1 in 3 people do not floss, citing time as a common reason. Though a typical dental floss filament might look small and unassuming, one shouldn’t underestimate its importance in supporting your oral health. The soft bristles of any toothbrush type can fail to clear out food debris in the nooks and crannies of your teeth. This is where the minute size of the dental floss comes to the rescue.
Nasties such as plaque and food build-up between the teeth can be thoroughly removed by dental floss otherwise not removed by brushing. With rigorous interdental cleaning, you are less likely to encounter the even bigger nasties – gingivitis, gum disease and tooth decay – in the future. Incorporate dental floss into your smarter oral-care regime for a healthier smile.
Mouthwash - It does more than cleaning your teeth
Apart from brushing and flossing off all the plaque and food debris, you can also flush them out. Rinsing out with a mouthwash for 30 seconds should do the trick. Here are some reasons why mouthwash is great after meals if you can’t brush your teeth.
- Fresh Breath: Ever enjoyed the sensation of freshness in your mouth after a good rinse of mouthwash? Mouthwash expels the culprits of bad breath – loosened plaque and detritus – as you gurgle and swirl.
- Additional Protection: Mouthwash contains chemicals that can protect your enamel; safeguarding you against any potential tooth cavities and gum problems.
- Anti-Bacterial Clean: Germs begone! Antibacterial active ingredients are efficient at eliminating and providing longer-lasting protection against germs.
Want to make sure that the bottle of mouthwash you just picked up ticks all of the above? Be on the lookout for these ingredients below for an effective mouthwash:
- Fluoride: prevents tooth decay and reinforces tooth enamel
- Zinc Citrate: kills bacteria responsible for bad breath
- Xylitol or Chlorhexidine: limits plaque and gingivitis occurrence
- Essential oils: Ranging from menthol (peppermint), eucalyptus, and thymol (thyme), these compounds have antifungal and antibacterial properties.
Back to basics: Your toothbrush
Now that you’ve got some new tools under your belt, perhaps it’s time to consider upgrading your toothbrush.
Why? Because a manual toothbrush has several disadvantages over an electric toothbrush. For one, manual toothbrushes are less likely to remove plaque at inaccessible interdental spaces (e.g. the back of your mouth). This is because the effectiveness of a manual toothbrush is highly dependent on one’s own brushing technique. And going by how we tend to rush to finish brushing sometimes, a manual toothbrush certainly doesn’t help you brush consistently.
An electric toothbrush solves these problems as it does all the cleaning for you. The automatic movements of the bristles ensures that your brushing technique is consistently spot on, and relies less on your hand and arm strength.
If you’re going to make the switch towards electric toothbrushes, go a step up and invest in a ZenyumSonic Toothbrush. Compared to ordinary electric toothbrushes, the ZenyumSonic™ Toothbrush is much more effective at brushing off plaque and food remnants as it vibrates more rapidly.
You can also customise your brushing experience to suit your needs from its 3 modes; clean, gentle and white. All these just at the push of a button!
Make the ZenyumSonic a part of your smarter oral-care regime, and clean your teeth the smarter way today.
Build a smarter, healthier brushing habit today